Thursday, October 22, 2009

Here's one I've never heard before...

Hello all going green-ers!

So I came across this the other day, and knew it's what I wanted to blog about today. I was on our city government website and found a link to this article.  The article discusses a study taking place in Rhode Island concerning the environmental impact of sprinklers. Yes, like the things in buildings and households that help put out fires. Basically, since sprinklers help "control combustion," they help control the pollution a fire can potentially emit into the environment. Who knew? Something that can save lives and prevent extensive structural damage can also help save our planet and environment from unnecessary pollution.

The study made me realize I don't really think of obscure things like this and how they affect the environment. I have only considered "going green" doing things like using recycled goods, saving energy, and carrying a cloth grocery bag instead of plastic ones. I guess I've always known this, it just made me realize there are so many other things out there that affect our environment and have an impact on our planet both good and bad. What about the types of containers we use for food storage? or the materials used for building or decorating our house? I even saw that an LCD computer monitor saves energy and isn't just for the purpose of "looking cool." 

So, what are some other odd things that affect our environment in either a positive or negative way? 
Let us know on our twitter @gogreen573

See ya next Thursday,
Christy Millweard


No comments:

Post a Comment